Fagaras Mountains: Access ways and departure points for trails
To the north slope trails
Point of departure of ascents on north slope is Depression Fagaras, place to reach by train from Bucharest - Brasov - Fagaras - Sibiu - Arad and Ramnicu Valcea - Podu Olt, railway stations are: Fagaras, Voila, Ucea de Jos, Arpașu de Jos, Scorei, Porumbacu de Jos, Avrig and Sebes olt, and from Ramnicu Valcea is Podu Olt, or by car on national road 1: Bucharest - Brasov - Oradea and Sibiu-73 a: Rasnov - Poiana Marului - Sercaia. Either modernized roads Tălmaciu - Avrig - Agnita - Voila, Rupea - Fagaras, or Hoghiz - șercaia.
National Road 1 is located near the railway Brasov - Sibiu, going through the same locations as the rail in Fagaras - Avrig area.
National Road 73 A touch access from Bran and Rasnov in Pasul Poiana Marului entering in depression at șinca, then is passing through localities Sercaia and Ohaba where it meets the DN 1. After Sinca Veche, from Route DN 73 A it emerges from west modernized road to Sercaita - Bucium - Margineni - Sebes - Recea - Gura Vaii - Breaza nord - Lisa - Sambata de Sus - Draguș - Viștea de Sus – Victoria. From several localities such as Sebes, Recea, Breaza de Sus, Sâmbăta de Sus and Victoria, marked trails start at the Fagaras Mountains. In the town Vad, from DN 73 A starts a modernized road leading to Poiana cu Narcise, about 43 km.
From DN 7 - E 15 starts modernized road Talmaciu - Avrig to depression, for those who come from Ramnicu Valcea, passing through Podu Olt station, Sebeș Olt halt, through Racovița and meeting DN 1 to Avrig.
From DN 13 - E 15, in Hoghiz, starts modernized road Hoghiz - Sercaia, under the frame of Perșani Mountains, reaching Sercaia and Rupea,also from DN 13 road starts modernized road to the town of Fagaras - DN 1 - through Jibert - Valeni - Soares.
In the central part of the Podișului Tarnavelor, at Agnita, are found three paved roads coming from Medias, Dumbraveni and Sighisoara, starting from here a modernized road to Dealu Frumos - Mergindeal - Cincu - Cincsor and arriving in Fagaras Depression on Route DN 1 to Voila.
In depression are many paved roads from DN1 which approaching the massive a lot, for example the road Fagaras - Sebes 12 km, Fagaras - Recea - Dejani of 14-15 km, Sambata de Jos - Sambata de Sus - tourist complex Sambata of 15 km, Ucea de Jos - Victoria of 8 km, DN 7 C - Transfagarasan.
- Point of departure the most important to the northern side are:
- Fagaras – the town located at 430 meters altitude, on Route DN 1, at 232-239 km and on the railway Bucharest - Brasov - Arad. It has two hotels, two self-service, gas station and bus station, the starting point for Sebes at 12 km on the modernized road, Recea at 14 km on the modernized road and then Bratila - Zarna, to Breaza at 20 km of which only 2 km modernized road and then the mountain sector Urlea, to touristic complex and Sambata monastery of 28 km on modernized road, and then mountain sector Sambata, of 33 km to Victoria on modernized road and the mountain Chalet Arpas and Podragu, making contact with these localities with ITA bus near railway station.
The tourist attractions of the city are Fagaras Fortress from century. XV-XVII, castle with Fagaras Country museum and city library, statues Badea Cartan and Ms. Stanca, St. Nicholas Church that was founded by Constantin Brancoveanu in 1697-1698, the house of Inochentie Micu-Klein, Holy Trinity Church from 1782-1783 , Roman Catholic Church and Franciscan monastery from 1737 rebuilt in 1760, reformed church from 1712, Evangelical Church of 1842-1843.
- Sebes – the village situated at 567 meters altitude, at 12 km from the Fagaras town, at meeting modernized roads Fagaras - Sebes and șinca Veche - Sâmbăta de Sus - Victoria, relating to Fagaras by ITA races. It is the starting point to route 1 - Peak Comisu the Sebes Valley, at 5 km distance on forest road of foothills.
- Breaza – the village situated at 610 meters altitude, 20 km south-west of the Fagaras and at 15 km south of the locality Voila on DN1, with modernized road up to 2 km north of the village and then paved. We mention the connection to Fagaras with ITA buses, starting point for routes 2,3 and 4 in Urlea Sector, ruins of the fortress from Breaza from XIII-XV century and the distance at foothills of 5 km.
- Voila – commune situated at 423 meters altitude, on Route DN 1 at km 244-245, at the meeting with modernized road from Agnita, and railway 200, with ITA bus to Fagaras and Breaza - 15 km, starting point to the village Breaza and then to trails 2,3 and 4 to the Urlea mountain secto . On the way Voila - Breaza is Voivodeni village with church monument, then Pojorta village. Distance to the mountain south of Breaza is 19 km and 3 km north of Voila is a fortified church in Cincsor.
- Sambata de Jos – commune located at 422 meters altitude, on DN1, at 1 km west of Voila - 246-247 km by rail 200. It is a camping at Hanul Brancovenesc. Departure point to Sambata
touristic complex to 15 km, then to the mountain trails of Sambetei 10-14. The road from the Sâmbăta de Jos to complex is modernized and passes through Sâmbăta de Sus - 6 km, being a starting point to Breaza for Urlea mountain sector, 14 km and Sâmbăta de Jos - Lisa sector is a modernized road.
Points of tourist interest are in Commune Sambata de Jos at Brukenthal Castle from the XVIII century, becomed the seat of the herd of horses, then in Sambata de Sus is the church from 1784 built by Nicolae and Grigore Manolache Brancoveanu and Castle Grigore Brancoveanu from 1800.
- Ucea de Jos – commune at 429 meters altitude, on Route DN 1 at km 259 and rail 200. The starting point for the city of Victoria, at 8 km on the modernized road, then on routes 15 and 16-20.
- Victoria – city located at 640 meters altitude, at 8 km south of Ucea de Jos and DN 1. Has modernized roads to Ucea de Jos and Sambata - Dragus - Vistea de Sus, a petrol station, a hotel with 140 seats and car trains links from Ucea de Jos station. Is a departure point for routes 15 Viștea Mare - Moldoveanu, 16-19 Chalet Podragu, Sâmbăta touristic complex on a forest road of 11 km, the distance to the foot of the mountains being 8 km on route 15, and 3 km on routes 16 or 17, or 7.5 km on route 18.
- Arpasu de Jos – commune at 424 altitude, on DN 1 km 162-163, on railway 200. It isthe departure point for Arpaș Chalet and routes 17-20 from Podragu sector, on Arpasu de Jos route - Arpasu de Sus - Chalet Arpas, 11-12 km unpaved road, difficult for cars and to sector 21-28 Balea sector, on route Arpasu de Jos - Cartisoara, 6 km unpaved road, then on Transfagarasan to Glajarie – Balea Cascada – Balea Lac, between the Arpasu de Jos and Glajarie being 16 km.
- Scorei – commune at 414 meters altitude, on Route DN 1 at 269-271 km, on railway 200. It is the departure point for tourist bases from route Valea Bâlei on trail Scora - Cartisoara of 5 km unpaved road, then on Transfagarasan, up to foothills Glăjărie being 15 km.
- Porumbacu de Jos – commune at 397 meters altitude, on DN 1 km 276-277, on railway 200. It is a departure point on the route 29 towards Negoiu Chalet, unpaved road, 14 km to the foothills of mountain. Between Porumbacu de Sus and Sibiu is ITA bus.
- Avrig – commune at 390 meters altitude, on DN 1 km 283-286, railway 200. It has hotel it is a departure point to Poiana Neamt Chalet, 14 km unpaved road, then on trails 36-39 Barcaciu - Negoiu and Scara - Lake Avrig, or Suru Chalet through Moașa Valley - Izvorul Poiana Florii route 40. Like touristic objective we find here Gheorghe Lazar memorial house and his statue, sculptor C.Medrea.
- Sebes Olt – CFR halt on railway 200, a departure point for route 41, Suru Chalet, through Sebeșul de Sus commune, with a distance of 6 km down the mountain slope, in southern Sebesului de Sus, on a road unpaved.
To the west slope trails
Point of departure to west is Olt Defile, on railway Piatra Olt - Podu Olt and on DN 7, with 5 touristic trails from the localities and stations on the left bank of the Olt, respectively Turnu Rosu halt, station Podu Olt, Valea Mărului halt, Câinenii Mici village and Greblesti village.
- Turnu Rosu – commune at 380 meters in the eastern Fagaras Depression, at the entry point of Olt defile, on railway Piatra Olt - Podu Olt, near Turnu Red halt, at 2 km from the railway station Podu Olt is the intersection of railways Piatra Olt - Podu Olt and Brasov - Sibiu, with modernized road between the railway Podu Olt and Turnu Rosu commune. It is the starting point on the trail 43 to Chica Pietrelor – Suru Chalet.
- Valea Marului – halt on Piatra Olt – Podul Olt railway, at 137 km from Piatra Olt and 31 km from Sibiu, bridge starting ridge west - east, stage I.
- Cainenii Mici – village at 380 altitude, on the left shore of Olt, on Piatra Olt - Podu Olt railway, at 1 km east of DN 7, departure point for routes 44, 45 and 46, to Chica Fedeleșului and Apa Cumpanita - Suru Chalet. Tourist attractions are two churches monument from XVII and XIX century.
- Greblesti – village at 380 meters altitude, on unpaved road Caineni - Totesti - Perisani - Salatruc - Curtea de Arges, at 3 km south of Cainenii Mici, on riverside Boia Mare, at 4 km from Câineni railway station, departure point for route 46, memorial Praporgescu General, to Suru Chalet.
To the southern slope trails
To south the road is long and difficult , 45 km from the last places until the main ridge, with markings starting from Salatrucu, Capatanenii-Ungureni, Bradet and Slatina-Nucșoara, localities where can be reach on modernized roads, from Pitesti and Curtea de Arges.
- Curtea de Arges – city on modernized road 7 W, at 36 km from Pitesti, at the end of the railway line that comes from Bucharest - Pitesti - Arges, on Arges river, with hotel and self-service station, gas station and bus station with ITA bus to Salatrucu , Capataneni, Bradet and Nucsoara. Here is the departure point to tourist trails at the southern slope of the mountain.
It is an certified city from 1930, former capital of the Romanian Country in 1369, with outstanding architectural monuments such as the Court and Biserica Domnească of the XIV century , churches as Sin Nicoara XVI century, bishops XVI century, Olari XVI century and famous Curtea de Arges monastery, founded by Neagoe Basarab.
- Salatrucu – commune at 660 meters altitude, on Topolog, at 28 km away from Curtea de Arges, at the end of the modernized road from Tigveni, on Topologului Valley, from Curtea de Arges, on Danului Valley. Here is the departuring point for routes 47 to Negoiu Peak and 49 to Saua Scarii – Negoiu Chalet. From Salatrucu is a forest road on Topologului valley, to the confluence of Izvorul Scării with Izvorul Negoiului, 35-36 km.
- Capataneni – Village located on the Arges River, called Capatanenii-Ungureni, at 25 km north of Arges, on DN 7 C, road that runs through the Cheile Argeșului, bypasses Vidraru Lake and cross massive to Transylvania. Here is the bus station for ITA buses from Curtea de Arges. Is the departuring point for routes 47-49 in the area Negoiu, 50-55 in the area Balea - Caltun and 56-58 in the area Moldoveanu - Podragu. From this village can start tours in Cheile Argeșului, at Poenari Fortress, Lake Vidraru dam, chalets Valea cu Pesti and Cumpăna on the lake.
- Bradet – commune at 624 meters altitude, is known as a balneoclimateric resort from Vâlsanului Valley, at the end of the modernized road DL 16, from highway Pitesti - Curtea de Arges at 12.5 km north of Pitesti, intersecting road DN 73 C Curtea de Argeș at 11 km south of Bradet. It has bus station with link to the cities Curtea de Arges, Campulung and Pitesti, and is the departuring for the trail 61 to Moldoveanu Peak through Vâlsanului Valley and Culmea Coastele Mari – Zanoaga. As a tourist attraction there is a monument church.
- Slatina – village related to the Nucșoara common, at 780 meters altitude, on the Doamnei River, the end of the modernized road DL 17 that emerges from DN 73, at 12.2 km north of Pitesti, in Piscani. It has ITA has buses to connect with Campulung, Curtea de Argeș and Pitesti, and and beyond the village is the longest forest road from massive, on Doamnei River, with ramifications for the main ridge. Here is the departuring point on route 59, Moldoveanu sector.
To the eastern slope trails
There are two possibilities of reaching in massive from east, namely Dambovitei Valley and Barsei Valley, here departuring point is Zarnesti town, at 26 km from Brasov, 8 km west of Rasnov on the national highway 73 A and head of the line Brasov - Zarnesti from where, on a forest road can reach Plaiul Foii Chalet, 13 km, at the foot of Piatra Craiului. From here you can climb the ridge on 3 way::
- Plaiul Mare in Curmătura Foi on Culmea Tămașului - Stage I on east-west ridge;
- Barsa Grosetului and Rudăriței Valleys, in Șaua Lerescului Mic, trail 64;
- Route Barsa Grosetului - Rudărița - Vacaria Mare Peak on trails 63 and 65.
Transfagarasan highway is very good for crossing the Fagaras Mountains by car on Route DN 7 C. It comes from the north of Road DN 1 between Scorei and Arpasu de Jos, crosses Cartisoara, locality with monument church and memorial house Badea Cartan, then enters in the massive to sector the Balea by Glajarie, distances being of 35 km between DN 1 and Balea Lac chalet. From the South enters in the mountains through Cheile Argeșului, goes on Vidraru dam , goes around the lake to the east, continues on Valea Caprei to main ridge, then pass on clinical Transylvanian, at Balea Lac, through a tunnel, the distance between Balea Lac and Curtea de Argeș being 79 km.